The key infrastructural elements of the DART+ Coastal North Project includes:
- Extension of existing 1500V DC electrification, which currently terminates at Malahide, as far as Drogheda MacBride Station (approximately 37km);
- Reconfiguration of the existing track layout and associated infrastructure in the vicinity of Drogheda MacBride Station, Malahide Station, Clongriffin Station and Howth Junction & Donaghmede Station, as well as the provision of sections of additional track and station turnback facilities to allow for improved operational flexibility on the Northern Line;
- Construction of a new platform at Drogheda MacBride Station;
- Undertaking upgrades to existing signalling, telecoms and power supplies to support the planned increase in train services, including the introduction of new electrical substations at key locations alongside the railway line;
- Undertaking bridge improvements/modifications arising from capacity enhancements, track reconfigurations and/or electrical clearances to achieve necessary clearances;
- Modifications to existing depots at Drogheda and Fairview to support the new train fleet, including the provision of additional train stabling at Drogheda;
- Ancillary civils, drainage and power works to cater for the changes.